Exceptional progress is made by the pupils at The Manchester Grammar School and their academic and other achievements are excellent, as is their personal development, inspectors have found.
The Manchester Grammar School (MGS) was inspected by the Independent Schools Inspectorate (ISI) in May 2019. The inspectors gave MGS the highest possible grade in every category.
The inspectors found that:
The quality of pupils’ academic and other achievements is excellent.
- The progress made by pupils is exceptional, even when considered in the light of their high ability on entry. Pupils consistently achieve results in public examinations that are far above national averages.
- Pupils naturally collaborate, respecting all abilities. This inclusive attitude supports pupils with SEND in making progress at least in line with other pupils.
- Pupils enjoy intellectual challenge and are articulate, drawing on a rich depth of vocabulary; they listen critically and write fluently.
- Pupils throughout the School are mathematically agile; many have developed a strong creativity in computing, art and the performing arts.
The quality of pupils’ personal development is excellent.
- Pupils are aware of their own and others’ strengths and limitations, and their attitude to each other is sensitive and well-judged.
- Pupils respond positively to the School’s promotion of choice, and the strong guidance they receive in making good decisions. Their initiatives and actions are frequently a force for good in the school and surrounding community.
- Pupils develop rapidly, intellectually and socially, in the context of ethnic, social and religious diversity supported by a well-funded bursary scheme which reflects the founder’s objective to provide a high-quality education to pupils of all backgrounds and financial positions.
- Pupils develop exceptional resilience through the wide variety of sport, trips and activities provided, and the School has introduced initiatives to encourage all pupils to participate more widely.
High Master, Dr Martin Boulton, said: ‘I am delighted and proud that the inspectors recognised the achievements and personal qualities of our pupils, and the high quality of the rounded education provided by the School’s dedicated staff.
‘I really feel that this inspection report captures the essence of what MGS is all about.’
To read the report, click here.