MGS Politics Department to host debate on the future of the Conservative Party
BREXIT AND BEYOND: THE FUTURE OF THE CONSERVATIVE PARTY
THURSDAY 21 MARCH 7-8pm.
At a moment of profound national crisis – and just a week before the UK is scheduled formally to leave the European Union – the MGS Politics Department will be hosting a debate on the future of Britain’s governing party.
Chaired by our Head of Politics Rick Kelly, Brexit and Beyond: the Future of the Conservative Party will involve a panel comprising Tory politicians and influential commentators from journalism and academe:
- Graham Brady, MP for Altrincham and Sale West since 1997 and chairman of the party’s pivotal 1922 Committee
- Mary Robinson, MP for Cheadle since 2015
- Tim Bale, Professor of Politics at Queen Mary University of London, and author of prize-winning book The Conservative Party from Thatcher to Cameron (2016)
- Robert Ford, Professor of Political Science at The University of Manchester and co-author of prize-winning book Revolt on the Right (2015)
- Patrick Christys (MGS 2003-2010), former political correspondent for the Daily Express, current broadcaster for Talk Radio and Sky News.
The debate will allow each of our panellists to assess how the Conservatives have managed the Brexit process and how this could affect the Party’s future. But the panel will also discuss how, at the next general election, the Tories might position themselves on other issues (such as taxation and public services) that will shape our country in the post-Brexit era. There will, of course, be ample opportunity for audience participation during the Q and A session that follows.
The debate is open to all members of the MGS community and, indeed, anyone with an interest in the future of British politics.
To reserve places, which are free of charge, please visit: https://thelittleboxoffice.com/mgs